Foreign Children Residing in France Will Need a DCEM Once Entry/Exit System Launches

Foreign children under the age of 18 who live in France will be required to possess a travel document for foreign minors (DCEM) to travel aborad once the EU’s Entry/Exit System enters into force.

– Advertisement –

EU’ new Entry/Exit System will launch in October of this year and will replace the manual passport stamping that currently applies to non-EU nationals entering the Schengen Area.

As soon as the system become functional, under-18s will have to hold a passport along with a DCEM to be exempt from the EES when travelling from France to another member state and the other way around, Schengen.News reports.

Since children of nationalities not required to have visas to enter France are not generally issued residence permits, the DCEM will serve as a document to prove that they legally reside in France, the Connexion explains.

On the other hand, foreigners over 18 years of age residing in France who hold a document proving that they are residents of the country will not be affected by the system. They will not be required to register into the EES as long as they possess a residency card.

As Choose France’s official website explains, foreign minors living in France are not required to have a residence permit.

However, when travelling outside the country, foreign minors are required to hold a DCEM, which permits trips abroad without the need to obtain a visa, to have a smooth travel experience

Foreign minors are not required to have a residence permit to stay in France. However, to facilitate their travels outside France, they need to apply for a travel document for foreign minors (DCEM).

Choose France’s Official Website

DCEM Costs €50 & Is Valid for up to 5 Years

The application for a DCEM should be made by the person who has parental responsibility over the minor. Since the beginning of this year, the application for a DCEM can be made online, making the entire process more convenient.

For minors who have non-EU parents, the DCEM costs €50. On the other hand, if the minor has parents who are EU citizens, the DCEM is issued for free. The DCEM is issued for free to UK minors, too, under the Brexit Withdrawal Agreement.

Once granted, the DCEM remains valid for a period of five years or until the minor turns eighteen.

What Will Change When EES Enters Into Force?

When the EES enters into force, all nationals of countries that are not part of the Schengen Area or the European Union will have to register in the system before entering the bloc.

Foreigners who want to enter the Schengen Area will have to provide their fingerprints, take a photo, and share their passport details.

The data will then be stored in the database for a period of three years and foreign nationals will no longer have to have their passports stamped as the system will register their entry and exit from the Schengen Area.